Our Year-end Ministry Report 2019 Live from Kisumu!
2019 Kisumu December Trip Letter to Sponsors
2019 Annual Letter from Paul Miles – Live from Kisumu, Kenya
Greetings to all our friends and supporters back in Canada. I am currently in Kisumu, Kenya visiting our school and partners here on the ground as well as Pastor Jasper of the Kondele Deliverance Church – the church we helped him plant and grow. We have known each other for 14 years and I believe him to be a man of vision, high integrity and incredible perseverance. He has accomplished some amazing things here and I feel very privileged to be associated with him. He has never asked us for any money and has been a faithful partner, assisting with our orphan ministry here. He wants the nationals to raise themselves up to be self-sustainable and productive. Of course, that comes with many challenges that are not familiar to us back home. He is the major driver of our schedule and the chicken farms.
As you know the church here has taken over the responsibility of paying all the operating costs for our primary school. They have done well in this process and we come along side when needed.
Even before this opportunity for me to return to Africa arose, Pastor Jasper had already begun a new business venture. He has a separate, secure property and has begun a chicken farm with the guidance from a local chicken farmer whom he knew. I purchased him another 400 chicks, as well as some different feeds which will be delivered to them today at the new site. This is a very exciting venture, that will make such a significant difference both short and long term, for these disadvantaged children.
The chicks are purchased and mature within six months. Here is the business plan:you have 1,000 chicks who mature within six months,
- half are sold to the local markets, half are kept for laying eggs,
- each egg can be sold or used to produce more chicks,
- the amount of the costs for the chicken reduces after three months and they begin to wander on the property feeding themselves and maturing.
- we can buy new chicks in the inception and our goal is 5,000 chicks,
- at this point or earlier we will not need to buy any more chicks thereby reducing our operating cost, making our gross profit higher,
- our profits will be put back into the school and we believe the profits will entirely support the operating costs of the school, as we build up our student body. Our goal is to have 1,000 students with the costs 100% supported by this business venture!
- other profits could go towards any future ventures and will be totally self-sustainable.
Another opportunity we have is to obtain education curriculum that can assist in teaching English to the kids. With this program, they could start speaking and understanding English within three months and it expands into math and sciences. This would be in addition to their regular school work at a cost of approximately $30. per child for the year.
We will post videos of our new Chicken program as well as pictures from this trip. Other interviews will also be posted over time so don’t forget the check us out at www.fathersheartprojects.org and tell your family and friends!
You must be logged in to post a comment.